How To Become A School Psychologist
An individual who has graduated with a school psychology degree can be found working in elementary or high schools, counselling children. An individual who has graduates from school psychology school focuses on youth, families and teachers with the goal of helping children succeed in school. An individual with a school psychology degree can also be found performing the duties of a school or guidance counsellor.
If you are interested in the field of psychology, and would also like to work with school-aged students, then you may want to consider attending school psychology school in order to become a school psychologist.
If you would like to pursue becoming a school psychologist, here are the steps you will need to follow:
1. Do your research. As with all professions, it is always a good idea to spend some time doing your research before you decide to pursue any career path. See if there are any school psychology degree graduate sin your area who you can talk to about their day-to-day work, and about the school psychology degree programs in your area.
2. Get accepted into an undergraduate program. You will first need to earn your undergraduate degree. Most students will choose to earn their undergraduate degree in general psychology. While you might not necessarily have the option to take any school psychology courses at this point, you may find that you are able to take related courses, such as courses on working with youth.
3. Earn strong grades.In order to be accepted into a MA school psychology degree program it will be required that you have a high grade point average.You also may want to consider volunteer work, or extra credit that will strengthen your application.
4. Get accepted into an MA program.In order to find work as a school psychologist you will also need to earn a minimum of a Master’s degree. Some schools will offer the option of a school psychology school degree at the MA level.
5. Complete your internships.An important part of any school psychology degree program will be the completion of your internship. Many school psychology school programs will offer you the opportunity to complete an internship where you can work directly with a school psychology school graduate, which is a great way to gain experience and to better understand the work that you will do once you have completed your school psychology school program.
6. Earn your license.Once you have completed both of your school psychology coursework, and completed your internship hours, you will also need to earn your license. This will mean that you will need to have worked a certain number of hours under the supervision of a licensed school psychology school graduate, as well as complete a written test, based off of things you will have learned in your school psychology courses.
7. Stay informed.Once you have completed your schooling and licensing, and are working as a school psychology school graduate, it will be important that you stay informed of trends and changes going on in your field. This is an important part of your career as a school psychologist.
Working as a school psychologist can be a rewarding career. Good luck!